Redistricting provides an opportunity to shift power in Orange County at all levels of government. Starting in early 2021, OCCET is engaging in robust local organizing, research, mapping, and advocacy around redistricting with the California Citizens Redistricting Commission (CCRC), Orange County Board of Supervisors, and a number of city councils, school boards, and water boards countywide.
To ensure a progressive community voice in the redistricting process, OCCET established the People’s Redistricting Alliance, a multiracial coalition of community-based organizations and residents countywide. Centering the lived experiences and needs of low-income communities and working families, we will pursue maps and other redistricting outcomes that maximize opportunities for year-round organizing, policy advocacy, and narrative shifts that advance the progressive transformation of Orange County.
- People’s Redistricting Alliance LaunchBuilding upon our census work, PRA launches with a workshop on redistricting basics.
- New Delay for Census NumbersCensus data needed for legislative districts won’t be ready until September. Could that alter the balance of power in the House? – New York Times
What is redistricting?
Redistricting is the process by which legislative district boundaries are re-drawn to reflect changes in population. Occurring every ten years after the census, it presents an opportunity to increase community voice in government and participation in the electoral process.
We are joined by the following Table Partners and alliance members:
- American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California
- AHRI Center
- California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative
- Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights
- Council on American-Islamic Relations – Los Angeles
- Latino Health Access
- Orange County Asian and Pacific Islander Community Alliance
- Orange County Congregation Community Organization
- Orange County Communities Organized for Responsible Development
- Orange County Environmental Justice
- Orange County Voter Information Project
- Pacific Islander Health Partnership
- Resilience Orange County
- South Asian Network